New Floor

When we moved into our house in 2006, we had every intention of ripping up the carpet immediately and installing laminate. Well…that did not happen. Wade argued that we might as well wear the carpet out first. So we did. After 3 years, I was tired of it and we had many reasons to fix the flooring throughout the entire house.

We ripped up the carpet and then had a BRILLIANT idea to paint while the floor was bare.

We went with a brown color.

At the last minute we also decided to do a double crown molding through the whole living area. We were not ready to take on that project quite yet, so we decided to paint the area where the molding would go and just leave it until we got around to it.

I realized that I took very few pictures of the “during phase” of putting the floor down. Sydney was actually a big help, bringing us pieces and helping measure for the next. Here is the hall during:

The laminate we bought was snap together…and really did snap together very easily. The whole thing just confirms how much I hate carpet! Now we only have it in the 3 bedrooms. 🙂

Wood Working

For the last 2 months, we have had the saws set up in the garage as we worked on the floors.  (Meaning…we have to park in the driveway…yuck!)  Every weekend, the boys across the street make their way over.  The older one is 5 and loves to help.  Sometimes I will go outside and he is out there by himself…sweeping.  The younger one who is 3 is a little more mischievous.  I never know what he is up to.  Wade and I have to make sure that every time we leave the garage we unplug the tools other wise we find the younger boy in there trying to build things.

Here is our table where we work.  One afternoon I went out to find this on the table:

I guess the little one thought he needed to help us.

Guilty Dog

We have almost finished painting.  *Almost*  The only thing left is the kitchen…which I am slowly working on.  Daisy…the strange dog that she is…

Decided she needed to test the paint to see how it tasted.  No wonder why she spent the next 2 days throwing up!  (We noticed this 3 days after this was painted…)

Morning Glories Have Taken Over

About 2.5 years ago, I decided I wanted a vining plant around the ugly electrical box in our back yard.

I planted Morning Glories.

They took over.

I pulled them up.

And every year they grow back and take over.

They are interesting.  They open up in the morning, and close in the afternoon.  The humming birds like to hand out by them.  I am not sure they provide food for them…but they are a safe haven from the brutal sun.

The NEW Art Room

Isn’t it funny how it took only 2 hours to empty a room but it took over 2 days to put it back?

We have been painting and installing laminate flooring.  I am not sure why we decided to do it at the end of the summer/beginning of the school year…it is not like that is the BUSIEST time of the year (except for maybe Christmas)!!!

I have been dreading the day.

I swore that when we moved into the house, I would not move the art room until we moved out.  The shelves were NOT easy to put together…and well…I have an art room most people would be jealous of.  It is the one room in the house that I am overly anal about.  And as Wade says…I have a container fetish.

First, a little history behind the room.

The day we signed on our house and got the keys, I drove over and ripped up the carpet in the study and painted the floor.  I had asked that they not even lay carpet in the room, but since the builder owned the house until we signed on it, they refused.  So we have lived for the last 3 years with a rust colored, painted floor in the front room of our house.  Pretty tacky when you walk in the door.  Wade insisted on putting doors to the room so he could close it up so no one had to look at it.  In hind sight…that was a good call.

Here are the before pictures.  I am not sure why I do not have a whole room picture.

But the time has come.

We started in the back of the house laying floor and worked our way up to the front room.  There is only about 300 feet of laminate left to lay.  We cannot do it without taking apart the art room. 🙁

And apart the room came.  I had to put stuff in 5 different rooms to get it all out of the front room.

Wade…he is such a trooper.  He hates the stuff…but he finally is ok with it.  He felt like our “playroom” never really had a purpose.  It was an ugly catch-all room that was just there.  A space that was totally under-utilized.  Not any more.  He had a good time adjusting the shelves with me to make it all work.

And the final product…

Wait for it…


There are a few things that still need to be rearranged, but for the most part it is finished.  I am so glad.  I was dreading the day.  Now it will FOR SURE not be moved until we move out of the house.

The girls have their own space.  We use a sheet of MDF cut in half for their desk.  They can color, paint, glue on it, etc…  Every once in a while, I sand it down so it looks a bit cleaner (and it gets the glue spots and paint globs off).  They also have a computer to share right next to me.  I am within arms reach of helping with anything we do.

Stay tuned for the house remodel coming up in a few weeks!